With the start of spring and warm weather, it gets even more challenging to focus on the tasks you know you need to get done. Try these suggestions to stop the games you play with yourself to avoid the task at hand.
1) Add planning time to your day to decide what must get done.
2) Confront the task or project you have let slide. Is is still a priority? No? Take it off your list.
3) Write down specific steps to complete the project and estimate how long each step will take.
4) Decide what will make the task as easy as possible. A larger work surface? Last year’s documents? Uninterrupted time?
5) Set the mood. What external stimuli will entice you to get started? Music and snacks often the task more enjoyable.
6) Tackle the first step. If you have time, continue. If not, leave the next step for later.
7) Ask a trusted friend or colleague to help you get started.
What a feeling of relief and satisfaction knowing that the project is done — or, at least, started.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get to the project I’ve been putting off.